Monday, July 18, 2011

Old People Learn too

I learned something today. It was simple and I would have missed it if I wouldn't have stopped to observe my toddler at play. I have not just a mountain, but an entire mountain range of clean clothes taking over my bedroom at the moment. It's no secret how much I hate folding and putting away laundry (although, I really enjoy hanging my clothes to dry outside). I was kicking through the piles, searching for my capri pants, cursing the possible hours of folding time I needed to conquer the ever-growing mess, when I heard my son exclaiming, "Weeeeee!" in the cutest high-pitch toddler voice you've ever heard.

I stopped and watched him for a few minutes. He was sliding on his belly, head first, off of the pile of clothes I had stacked on the bed onto the pile of clothes I was kicking around on the floor. (To be fair, not just clothes, but a queen size quilt, several sheets and pillow cases and a mound of towels are included in this pile). He would then stand up, giggling and race around the chain of empty laundry baskets, climb back up on the bed and start again. Each time he started his slalom, he would squeal, "Weeeeeee!".

What did I learn in all of this? While I was cursing what I saw as a chore, a drudgery plaguing me every time I walked into that room, my son only saw an opportunity for play. He didn't see a chore. He saw stacks of soft stuff, a veritable playground in his own bedroom. This morning, I learned a little bit about seeing the world through the rose colored glasses of a toddler. Heck, if I was a little bit smaller and a whole lot less pregnant, I probably would have jumped in right behind him on his dry slip and slide.

I'm going to devote today to enjoying the small things through the eyes of my son. And I hope it's a lesson I never lose sight of.

4 comments:

  1. This is a lesson I need to learn over and over and over...but thankfully, I acknowledge it each time one of my kids, once again, reminds me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky to grow up with this mindset. My brother was mostly in hospitals for his 11 years of life. It was either spend 11 years sad that we're in hospitals all the time or suck it up and enjoy life regardless of our situation. We chose to enjoy life. We were the happiest people in those hospitals, always having fun. So what if we're in a waiting room for three hours? We're here together, let's have some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly, that is very inspiring! I have a feeling my family would have been the same way.

    It just goes to show us that kids really are our greatest teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over the years as a mom, I've learned to see life in a totally different way. First, it was just a survival skill; in order to be able to deal with working in childcare, and having many friends with kids, I needed to see things from their point of view.

    I see it as an added gift, to see life first with an eye to the joy of living, and then to see the "work" it creates, as just a part of it.

    And then, knowing that their "play" *IS* their work. If I saw it all as just "so much to do" I would lose my mind!

    As an added bonus, things become just another opportunity to enjoy our time working cooperatively, having an experience with one another, loving our free flowing life together with our kids. <3

    ReplyDelete